If you have decided to have your old metal water tank replaced with a new, more modern PVC one, you'll first need to get rid of the out-dated old tank. Although the installers will do this job for you if you ask them to, the process is relatively simple and you could save yourself time and money if you adopt the DIY approach. Here's how to go about removing your old water tank.
Before you can remove the old tank, you'll need to drain it completely and make sure that it is isolated from your home's plumbing system.
- Start by switching off your water heater or boiler so that it doesn't continue to pump hot water into the heating system.
- Now locate your mains water stopcock and turn off the water supply. You'll also need to close the valve on the tank pipework that leads to the rising main. You should be able to do this simply by locating the valve wheel (usually painted red) and turning it off.
- To flush the system completely, go around the house and turn on all your taps until the water stops running.
- Finally, empty out any dregs of water in the old tank by using a small bucket.
Removing the old tank
All you need to do now is to dismantle all the connections to your old tank and shift it out of the way. It can be helpful for the installers of your new tank if you make a note of where the existing plumbing fixtures sit. A good way to do this is by making a note of the location on a piece of paper and sticking it to each pipe.
- Take a spanner and remove all the connections to the tank's float valve.
- Next, dismantle any distribution pipes and the overflow. You can do this quickly and simply by using a pipe wrench. You may find that some of the connections are stiff and require the application of some light oil in order to loosen them.
- You can now remove the old tank. If the tank is in your loft space and won't fit through the hatch, just move it to one side. You may need to have a professional contractor dismantle the tank for you at a later date.
You can help to speed up the installation of your new water tank by taking the above steps to remove the old one before the installers arrive.